One of the decisions, when considering storage space, is whether you should spend the money on a climate-controlled storage unit. A climate-controlled storage space is an area that can have a customized environment for whatever it is that you are storing in the unit.
For many, a basic self-storage unit is sufficient for most household items, or if you are just storing files. If you just need a place for boxes, then climate-controlled might not be necessary. However, there are many valuables that require a climate-controlled environment.
How is Climate Controlled in a Storage Space?
The key elements of a climate-controlled storage space come within the equipment that regulates. HVAC systems, dehumidifiers, insulation and custom thermostats are a few examples of different equipment that could regulate the space.
- Custom Thermostats – A device that allows you to select the temperature from an easily accessible monitor. These are important for and space so that the customer can select the ideal climate.
- Insulation – In order for these spaces to remain dry and don’t sporadically change in temperature, you need proper insulation. Insulation may be placed within the roof and walls of storage units to help with this control.
- Dehumidifiers – These mechanisms are a key technology for anyone that wishes to fully control the climate of their storage space. A dehumidifier is great at managing humidity over time.
- HVAC Systems – Heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems are pretty self-explanatory as to why they are necessary for a climate-controlled storage space. These machines allow you to regulate the temperature lower or higher for your desired temp.
What Types of Items Require a Climate-Controlled Unit?
Items that require a climate-controlled unit are usually things that are sensitive to heat or humidity. Examples of these items are:
- Electronics – Very sensitive to heat and weather. If it gets too cold, the battery can cease to operate. Too hot is also bad for the components.
- Photos / Art – Both are extremely sensitive to heat. Not keeping them in climate control only increases the risk of losing value.
- Antiques – In extreme temps, these can crack and get more brittle. They also begin to deteriorate.
- Wooden Objects – Wood runs the risk of rotting in extreme temps if it is not made with weather protective materials.
- Metal – Under extreme temps, metal will rust.
If you are looking for a climate-controlled unit at a fantastic price in the South Florida area look into a storage or workplace unit from Mindful Workspaces & Storage. They provide key solutions to many business issues such as extra office space. And remember that storage containers do not require much to set up and are a great temporary alternative for businesses that require storage. With locations all over the state of Florida, from Plantation to Sunrise, and West Palm Beach to Lake Worth, you have a storage company here for you right in your back yard.